Tuesday, May 13, 2008

DONT GIVE UP!

Good evening from a very tired Sharon (YAWN)

Firstly, Id like to say hi to Stella and Liny, who continue to keep in contact with me and show such support - your comments are so valuable, thank you!

Many people have commented in the past that they would like more information on how I lost the weight I did. I thought Id take this opportunity to give a few tips. The first thing that is so important is not to ever, ever give up. I know many people (myself included) will have great resolve to lose weight, and start out a fresh week with much gusto on a new diet. By lunch time of the very same day, they have eaten a piece of chocolate cake (it was someone's birthday and it looked sooooo good) and instead of buffing it off as a little blip on the long road to weight loss, they give up and throw the whole week away as a loss - resolving that next Monday they will try again.

I myself have been victim of this vicious circle time and time again. It is nothing more than a giant waste of time and it makes the road ahead that much more difficult to travel.

Should you read the above sentences and identify with what I have written, stop. Take a step back and evaluate why you are doing it. Is the diet you will be following too tough? Are you a chronic procrastinator like I was, does your goal seem too far away and the mountain you find yourself facing seem too large to climb? Is it pure laziness keeping you from pushing forward?

I get kind of cross when I think about all the fad diets out there. Huge promises are made that are rarely delivered on, and on the off chance you do lose weight, it is almost impossible to start eating a balanced diet again without putting all the weight back on again - once again inspiring demotivation and promoting even more weight gain.

Even myself, I was on a hectic diet for 7 months, when I started eating more, I gained a few pounds. My advice to everyone out there is it is better to lose slowly and keep it off long term than attempt all the other ridiculous diets and pills available and fail in the end. Follow a balanced diet - I recommend consulting with a dietician which I myself am doing, as they can formulate an eating plan that won't leave you feeling deprived, yet will still offer weight loss results. Get more active. Exercise not only helps with weight loss but also leaves you full of endorphines that make you feel great.

If anyone has any specific questions, please leave a comment and I will address them in my next post.

Cheers for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing post Sharon. Thank you for sharing. It's incredible to be able to share this experience with you.

Annette

Sharon Haarhoff said...

Thanks so much Anette.

I can only hope that what I have to share will help others on their journey.

I love interacting with you guys and will be honoured to share my experiences with you...good or bad.